IMICROQ won the 1st edition of the Competition Opinno Biotech. It has also taken part as a participating company in the Investment Forum, organized in partnership with MIT Enterprise Forum. This Forum has brought together prominent business projects and a select group of venture capital investors specialised in green technologies, biotechnology / nanotechnology, as well as information and communication technologies.
EmTech is the biggest event of the Annual Technology Review, the most prestigious publication of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). For the first time, this meeting, held for 12 years in Boston, had a replica in Europe. EmTech Spain arrives to Spain (26-27 October, Malaga), to bring together business leaders, the most important researchers and technologists, as well as the most innovative entrepreneurs to share knowledge.
Within the framework of the MIT conference EmTech Spain, innovative ideas and important projects of young Spanish scientists have been awarded through the Opinno Biotech Competition sponsored by Genome Spain and Zeltia. Thus, this competition has selected the works that have develop new technologies or new applications for existing technologies, and that represent an advance in the field of biotechnology. In addition, all participants have benefited from an Elevator Pitch to a wide number of investors, MIT academics, trend leaders, media, etc..
The selected projects have been 25 in total, of which 5 have been finalists:
- AlphaSip: company expert in the development of medical diagnostic chips, focusing its technology in the fields of haematology and cardiovascular disease. The company’s main landmark is a home-used monitoring device oriented to patients treated with oral anticoagulants.
- Ambiox Biotech: spin-off from the University of Alcala de Henares and the Gregorio Marañón Hospital in Madrid. It specializes in nanotechnology innovation and its application in the biomedicine field. Its present main objective is to stop the impact of AIDS on society with a topical gel.
- Biotech Hesperides Group S.L: first EBT at the University Pablo de Olavide. It focuses on developing innovative food and beverage from biotechnological transformation of fruits, juices, milk, etc.
- IMICROQ, Integrated Microsystems for Quality of Life S.L.
- MicruX: start-up focused on the development and commercialization of microchip capillary electrophoresis (based on lab-on-a-Chip technology), as well as instrumentation and applications for different sectors of society.